Winter is not exactly my favourite time of year. Once New Year’s Day has come and gone and it’s back to the daily grind, the dark days of January and February don’t do much to lift my spirits.
That’s why I find it so important during the winter to dress in a way that’s not only cozy but also makes me happy. I tend to gather clothes (and items) that will help get me through my least favourite season. Here are my winter essentials:
Winter Fashion Essentials:
- Fuzzy tights: I love wearing dresses year round, and fleece-lined tights make it possible. They are so comfortable and warm! And on days when the temperature dips lower than the surface of Mars, I layer them under pants to cut that wind chill.
- Faux Fur Coat: I’m not about real fur, but growing up in Canada makes you appreciate why it became a fashion piece in the first place: it is so warm. I find that my vintage faux fur pieces do an amazing job at keeping me warm, and my white one with the hint of bell sleeves makes me feel like a rock star.
- Snow Boots: As much as I’d love to wear heeled thigh-high boots all year, snow boots are a must. Luckily, this year I found a pair that marries stylish details like faux fur with warmth up to -30 degrees celsius and water proofing. Perfect!
- Transitional Boots: These are a lot more fun and can come in rain boot or other varieties. I have a few pairs that are my go-tos, but for the ultimate transition boot, you have to check out the Editor Boot by Bhava. It’s like having three fall boots in one, so they’ll definitely help you buy less!
- Transitional Dress: Like I mentioned, I love dresses. And great way to wear them deep into winter is to invest in wrap or shirt dresses. They work well with layers as the temperature drops so that you can rock them and be warm at the same time.
Other Winter Essentials:
I also have some winter faves that are not fashion pieces, but are just as essential:
- Tea: I love tea year round, of course, and I’ve been known to chug back a hot cuppa in the high heat of summer. But cozying up with a cup of tea, a good book, and a woodsy scented candle is one of winter’s prime pleasures.
- Winter Sports: I’m less of a team sport enthusiast and more of a ‘compete against yourself’ type, and so I adore downhill skiing. But one of my fave winter activities is hot yoga. In the dead of winter, sweating it out in a hot yoga studio can be so comforting and relaxing.
- Warm Baths: This one goes without saying. Soaking in a warm tub with my favourite bubble bath is the perfect way to get the chill out of my bones.
- Paper Flowers: Fresh flowers can be a reminder that spring will come again, but high demand for fresh cut flowers means that they’re not the most sustainable industry out there. I prefer the ever-present joy of crepe paper flowers. They brighten up a room without the need for constant refreshment. I get mine from a local Etsy seller who does amazing work!
Those are my winter essentials. What are yours? If you have any secrets for getting through the winter, I definitely need to read those tips in the comments!